[swb-public] README: Welcome & Initial Thoughts

swb at hacknet.cx swb at hacknet.cx
Sun Jan 1 16:59:23 UTC 2017

Hi

I've been watching from the sidelines here to see how things develop. Must confess I haven't seen the original source materials from whence this project was conceived so please take questions / comments in that context.

I have 3 comments / questions so far, the first related to trust, the second related to safety and the third regarding agreed objectives and politics. I hope both that these have and haven't been covered in equal measure already,  although the enthusiasm for this project means that I also haven't read *every* communique that's hit my mailbox.

Anyway. Comment 1: trust.
Josh makes a great point, this list will be surveiled by interested parties who do not have the same goals as this list. I would take this further and posit that the list / project will or has already been infiltrated by those parties. How do we as a group obtain /maintain and assure to *customers* that the people involved are trustworthy and have aligned objectives to those seeking assistance. I have seen groups 'crash and burn' as josh puts it on this aspect alone. This is especially true in the hacking scene where people either welcome or fear /despise the Intel services depending on the individual viewpoint.
Who will undertake vetting of those people involved to provide those assurances and how, especially where typical vetting organisations, government, military,  may be considered the 'opposition' and thus government vetted people may be seen as less trustworthy by nature of their affiliation?

Comment 2:safety
Given the stakes involved, participants in this project could be individually, or collectively targetted both electronically and through other means. Maybe others on the list could highlight any physical threats to individuals that may exist as I'm no expert. How do we go about ensuring the safety of participants from state or other actors seeking to undo the group efforts? What legal support do we have, or can we put in place to protect volunteers from specific targetting?

Comment 3: agreed objectives / politics.
I suspect we've all expressed interest and willingness for different reasons, but with a generally agreed view that we would like to support freedom of speech and expression, support NGOs, the press and others in the face of growing intolerance. How do we go about defining who to support and who not to support, however? As an example I suspect everyone would support a request from MSF for help,  however would that extend to other groups? What would happen if breitbart sought help from the group? Or maybe The Canary (left wing organisation)? What would happen if the White helmets sought help, or a Palestinian organisation? How do we protect the group against fracture along political and ethical lines? Who makes these decisions and what happens if the group finds itself on the "wrong side of history"?

I have no answers to these, but thought I'd open my thoughts for debate.

Cheers