[swb-public] README: Welcome & Initial Thoughts

Tek tek at randhome.io
Mon Jan 2 13:37:36 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Thanks for this interesting discussion, few ideas/comments :

-I totally agree with Josh that it is too early to speak about
technology to communicate before having any real case project. I have
seen a lot of projects focusing on the technical aspect before having a
clear idea of the work to be done, and it always lead to countless problems.

-Trust and management are clearly the two challenges of this project.
About trust, I think the best solution is to have a small core
management team, slowly getting to know people involved and propose them
work that requires more and more trust (starting from public development
to forensic analysis for instance). Meeting at conferences or other
events may help to create this trust, with the obvious bias of being
easier for some people (people in Europe/US, people going regularly to
conferences...) than others. About management, I think we should be
careful with involvement in projects without any clear objective or
deadline. Imho, in an ideal case, the management team would define the
need and the deadline with the NGO, and propose a clear work plan to any
volunteer (which require technical skills in the management team). So as
a volunteer, I receive a clear proposal to do something and say yes or
no. Am I ok to take one week full time before April to give a security
training? Am I ok to develop this ticket on this project before June?
etc. This would help giving a clear answer to an NGO (and thus build
trust with them), but also limit management work for the core team as a
limited number of people are involved at a given time.

-I think that there is also a challenge to work with NGO / activist
groups, because just saying "we are here" even with media coverage is
not enough. From my experience, most of the time  these groups have
already more work than they can do, and do not see what benefit they
would have from security advice/audit/training... It would be really
helpful to have a network of people working closely with NGO/other
groups and with a clear idea of what we can do, so that they contact us
when we can help. It takes some time to have these contacts, but it also
requires that SWB give a clear overview of what is possible or not.

-For the first steps, it may be interesting to start defining the first
type of actions we can do for NGO (security audit? Security study on a
tool/specific problem? Security training?) to be able to communicate
this to target groups, and ideally find an easy project with a group
that the core team already know to test the organization. At the same
time, projects outside of a specific NGO (as proposed by Nex) could be
started (monitoring/blocking access to camera and microphone is a really
good idea, gathering knowledge on software commonly used too) slowly
(but we should take care of not reinventing the wheel and work with orgs
already doing similar projects). Any idea of what the first NGO work and
first projects could be? Do you have in your network some NGO having
some simple need that could be addressed at first?

Cheers

T.