[swb-public] Meeting in person?

Daniel dmv2109 at posteo.net
Wed Jan 4 13:07:11 UTC 2017

Hey,

I'd like to add a more "old school" proposal; Let's meet in person to
discuss all the questions that have come up over the last few days. What
I have in mind is something like a day-long workshop somewhere in
Europe, and mabye a second one in the US. I know that this will be
difficult to organize but I think it would be beneficial in at least
four ways:

(1) Trust: it's a lot easier to begin to build relationships of trust if
you meet people in person.

(2) Motivation: from my experience with similar projects, people will be
much more motivated to contribute to a look project like this for an
extended period of time if they have met the people they have worked
with.

(3) Exchange with other organizations: if we organized such a workshop,
we could invite people from other organizations to tell us about their
experiences and what kind of assistance they would expect from an
organization like swb. btw, a friend just told me about the "Tactical
Technology Collectice" (https://tacticaltech.org/), which seems to
pursue a very similar agenda.

(4) Visibility: swb can only help people if they know that the
organization exists. To this end, we could combine internal discussions
with some kind of public event.

What do you think?

Best,
Daniel